Monday, June 12, 2017

The One With the Rotten Apples (June 6, 2017)

Liebe Familie und Freunde, 

I still am just blown away by how fast every single week seems to go. The days feel sooo long but before we know it we are doing weekly planning again. It's crazy. But so wonderful. I probably won't ever get over how fast time goes, which is why I constantly repeat that. I live in constant shock and awe. 

So here's the run down of this last week (leaving out a lot because I'm human and ya'll are too)...
Wednesday we taught Kat and ate a weeks worth of vegetables and hummus in one sitting  (as we do every Wednesday morning when we teach at the Johnsons...it's the best). We then did our studies, attempted to teach the German course  (but for the first time ever nobody came...) Then we taught one of the sisters the restoration again and set a soft baptism date!
Thursday we were going to teach the recent convert in our ward...but unfortunately he forgot and didn't come. Then we finally met the woman who called wanting to be baptized...she's done so much research on the church it's crazy. Also she has a cat named Melissa and I really want it. After that we visited one of the older ladies in our ward (she's 95!!! People here get so old, what a nightmare). Anyway, she's so funny. She asked Sister Hill why she was so white, and then went on about how she always gets really brown and she was sorry for Sister Hill and her whiteness (not that I'm any darker...she just picked on Sister Hill). SO FUNNY. I was trying not to die laughing. 
On Friday we went to a funeral for one of the members in our ward. It was really sad, but also I didn't understand any of the speakers so it kind of just killed my brain. 
On Saturday we went and visited another older member that visit regularly. It was so hot outside but I joked about her giving us tea as usual, but Sister Hill assured me that it was the middle of June, in Europe, so surely she would not give us tea. She did. Not only did she give us hot tea, but she gave us apples! Sister Hill started cutting into her apple and the lady was so happy that it didn't appear rotten...we found that odd until I cut mine...the entire inside was BLACK. Who knew apples could even do that!? She gasped, took the apple away and gave me another. Once I cut that one and it appeared to not be rotten she told us that she bought the apples at least a month ago...and she didn't want them. Natürlich, we had to eat them. And then, we had to fight with all our might to not throw up because they were so bad. We went out with Baagii and Richard and a family with a missionary recently returned from this mission after that appointment. That was rough. I felt so sick but had to keep eating so as to not be rude...so that was a rough night for my dying stomach. 

So some fun facts about Europe
1. There's 1000000000 people here 
2. It's hot and humid and semi miserable at times 
3. The air conditioners here are called fenster.  Also known as... windows! So really, there's no air conditioning. Not anywhere. Not in our apartment, not on the trains or busses, not in the stores, not in the church... it's a real fun sweaty time. Who wouldn't want to sweat all day and night? 
4. There are ice cream shops EVERYWHERE, with the most addicting ice cream ever.
5. Europeans have bladders constructed of steel or something. There aren't bathrooms anywhere. Very rarely can you find one, and when you do, you have to pay. And they aren't predictable, they are in the most random locations. So. Everyday is a struggle. But a good struggle. Still haven't paid for a bathroom, so I feel very successful here.
6. They don't have ice, or anything. Which...for an ice addict like me just doesn't work out too well. So I created a system (Sister Hill told me I was dumb, and that it wouldn't work...but now she won't stop eating my ice).
7. It's a fairy tale place.
8. There's historical things everywhere.
9. The old people ride razor scooters and I think it's so funny. Also the old people are just really old. We met with three 95 year olds this week...soooo old.
10. I'm running out of facts...You know that one couple in high school that just can't seem to get enough of each other and makes everyone around them uncomfortable? Well that is every couple here. Except, here there is no dress code, and also it's not just high schoolers. We have seen our fair share of OLD OLD OLD couples...Love is in the air in Europe I suppose. Yiiiiiikes.


Alma 38:5 And now my son(daughter), (your name), I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day.






0

No comments:

Post a Comment