Wednesday, September 27, 2017

The one with Oktoberfest 9/19/2017

Hey y'all 

There's something about missionary work-and being alive really- that really just makes me want to break out into dance. Unfortunately for me, and fortunately for everyone around me, that doesn't usually happen. Usually. Ha ha ha, what a time. 

Tuesday-Thursday afternoon Sister McAllister was sick. So instead of interacting with humans as we normally do, I interacted with myself and the fridge, while Sister McAllister interacted with her bed, and by that I mean she didn't leave her bed...like ever. I was super bored and wanted to talk to people as well as do some sort of missionary work while being locked up so I called a ton of the numbers in our phone and out of like 40 potentials only 4 actually answered. And they all said they would call us back later since they'd be in the area for Oktoberfest and could meet with us before or after hahahahaha. They haven't called back.

Friday Sister McAllister was finally feeling better and so we were able to do some dooring before our dinner appointment with Michael. I love dooring. We were able to talk to so many people, nobody was interested but between the 4 buildings we went in we met people from at least 10 different countries. Germany rocks my socks when it comes to all the people and cultures and ethnicities and languages. I am pretty sure by the time I am done with my mission I will have met someone from every country. WHICH IS SO COOL.

Normally, church would only have been an hour on Sunday, as is the tradition when Oktoberfest begins, but our new bishop is from North Germany and thought that was silly. So it was a regular Sunday as far as church goes. (Oktoberfest is literally the street over from our church and there is a parade that starts when sacrament ends so normally the members run out after sacrament to watch the parade... not this week though.)

On Sunday Camille got baptized! She wasn't an investigator, but we had taught her and prepared her to be baptized so it was a wonderful day. We had called her Saturday and asked her if there was anything we could bring or do to help, and she told us she wanted chocolate chip cookies. So, after quite a bit of struggling-because it's Europe- I made some very American chocolate chip cookies. The baptism was amazing, so many members stayed for the baptism, and they also had so many non-member friends and work colleagues come! 

Then as I said, it's Oktoberfest. Which is cool, but also...everyone is drunk, which makes it a little tricky for us but we've found some places to go where we can still street contact and not run into people from Oktoberfest. We are practically in Australia, because there are THOUSANDS of AUSTRALIANS here. As well as people from all over the world, but there are a ton of Australians and they have a designated area for Australians because they are crazy and loud. 

The work goes on!

This week I finished the Book of Mormon again, can I just say IT IS THE BEST BOOK EVER. Meine Gute! I love the Book of Mormon more than I can even say. There is no book that is more true, or that can bring you closer to God, and can strengthen your testimony more. That being said, I started the Book of Mormon again, and I just love the introduction. I skipped over everything before 1 Nephi the first 4 times I read it but on my mission I've started with the introduction and it just changes the book. The last two paragraphs go as follows:
"We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. (See Moroni 10:3–5.)
Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is His revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the Second Coming of the Messiah."
 I would like to extend that invitation as well, READ, PONDER, and ASK. You will receive an answer, and you can know for yourself!

Love y'all, have a good week!

Pictures:
Camilles baptism & group selfie, Cafe Katzentemple-it's a cafe with free roaming cats and free wifi..aka, could we ask for anything better?, face mask and UCAS reppin', Sister McAllister wanted to prove to me that she could make her own quesadilla.., as usual eating from an icetray while we made calls or something.

Sister Carley Lundskog
Kirche Jesu Christi HLT
Francéstraße 6
80997 München
Deutschland







No comments:

Post a Comment